Wednesday 2 April 2014

Biltong Potjie

I know nothing beats a South African braai over a weekend, but I wanted to make something different, so I decided to make Potjiekos.

Yes, I know, that sounds really good, but I didn’t want to make just any old potjie, I wanted to make a Biltong Potjie. You can’t get much more “Truly South African” than that.

Before I begin, this recipe is a real treat and one of my absolute favourites, but it is very rich.

Ingredients:
6 onions chopped
500g of button mushrooms
1/2 kg of cut (wet) biltong
500g of screw type noodles.
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 can of pit mielies ( NOT THE CREAMY ONE)
1l of fresh cream.
Loads of grated cheese.

Method: Cook noodle on stove, Fry onions and mushrooms in potjie on coals, Sprinkle a handful of biltong in the potjie, Put half the cooked noodles on top of biltong in potjie, Add rest of the biltong, Add rest of the noodles, Sprinkle in peppers and mielies, Add 1 litre of fresh cream and grated cheese. Close potjie and cook for 10 minutes. Eat Immediately.


Easy, quick, tasty, rich, creamy, delicious, what more can I say – so get that fire going, take out your potjie and enjoy a BILTONG POTJIE this coming weekend. Believe me when I say, you will LOVE this one – I sure did.