Thursday 24 April 2014

Boontjie Soup

My mind was set on making something totally different this weekend, but with the cold weather that we are currently experiencing in Kimberley, all I could think of and wanted was a nice hot cup of homemade soup to warm up this freezing body of mine. So I decided to make a classic favourite for most Sourth Africans – yes you’ve guessed it, I made  BOONTJIE SOP, then I added some homemade bread with butter and, wa-la, I had my winter comfort food. I even had some of the left-over soup for breakfast this morning.

Ingredients:
200g sugar beans
3 mutton or pork shanks
3 rashers of bacon
1.5 liters of water
30ml butter or margarine
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
15ml salt
2ml milled pepper

Method:
Cover beans with cold water and soak overnight, Take a large pot put the meat and bacon in the water and boil until the meat is tender, Saute onion, celery and carrot in butter a frying pan for 3 minutes, Add the saute’d vegetables and the beans to the meat.

Cook for 30 minutes, add the salt and pepper.